The Willow Tea Rooms
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Box office 0141 332 0521
- General enquiries 0141 332 0521
- Opening times Mon–Sat 9am–5pm; Sun 11am–5pm.
- Seasonal times Summer months may open later – see website for details
- Food served Mon–Sat 9am–4.30pm; Sun 10.30am–4.30pm
- Average price £8.95; £12.95 (set lunch)
- Website www.willowtearooms.co.uk
The quintessential afternoon tea experience in Glasgow, and a visit is a great way to expand your knowledge of Rennie Mackintosh.
Kate Cranston’s vision of grand tearooms spanning five floors was brought to life by famed local designer Charles Rennie Mackintosh, and operated between 1903 and 1928. After decades as a department store, the tearoom was re-established in 1983. Today, the Tea Rooms and Room de Luxe are the definitive afternoon tea experience in Glasgow, and are frequented by both art-loving tourists and regulars stopping by for a cuppa and cake. Exploring the building and small exhibition first will whet your appetite; afternoon tea features a choice of cake, cream-cheese and cucumber sandwiches and freshly baked scones, with most of the cakes on offer including copious amounts of cream. Decadent times, but arguably educational and cultured ones as well.
- High point: The distinctive ambience and authenticity
- Low point: Ideally more smaller cakes with Afternoon Tea
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 1983
- BYOB: no charge corkage (By arrangement only)
Reviews & features
Time for tea, at last - the best tea rooms23 Jul 2009
Let’s play word association. Tea and … well, there’s coffee, and for the last decade or two we’ve been in a mocha monopoly with coffee chains over-populating our high streets, railway stations, book shops and most places in between. Tea and…