New York-style piano bar with skilled mixologists serving extensive cocktails made from premium spirits and fresh ingredients.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
With exposed brick walls and subtle lighting, Blue Dog channels New York piano bar class, with a pianist tickling the ivories as you browse the extensive cocktail list. Along one wall row upon row of spirits and liqueurs make up one of the city's best-stocked gantries and there's a real focus on quality ingredients, from the espresso to the premium alcohol brands and the fresh fruit and herbs. Drinks are grouped by style rather than spirit, and include martinis, bubbles, connoisseurs and classics. The Bloody Moreish blends Bombay Sapphire with rhubarb liqueur and basil to a create a spicy cocktail with a seriously impressive depth of flavour. If sweet is your thing the Jekyll & Hyde mixes Goslings Rum and Patron coffee tequila liqueur with Nutella and cream. Only the brave should attempt the Super Zombie – double the alcohol, no extra juice.
- High point: Skilled mixologists will find your go-to cocktail
- Low point: Can struggle for a seat at weekends
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Funk, rock and soul.
- Live entertainment: Live jazz, live acoustic, piano player and magician.
- Capacity: 155 (8 outdoors)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle