Contini George Street
- Telephone 0131 225 1550
- Opening times Mon–Thu 8am–11pm; Fri & Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 11am–9pm.
- Seasonal times Festival: kitchen open until midnight, bar until 1am
- Bar open Mon–Sun until midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–10pm; Sat 10am–11pm; Sun 11am–9pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri
- Pre-theatre price £16
- Website www.contini.com/contini-george-street
Stunning plates in a stunning room: Contini's spring 2017 revamp hits all the right notes.
A spring makeover saw Carina and Victor Contini's opulent all-day Italian ramping up the fun and modernising the menu. A plush new bar area serves aperitivi and fresco-style renaissance figures adorn the walls — a touch of tongue-in-cheek Italian melodrama that softens the feel of this grand former banking hall. The revamped menu is still rooted in Italian tradition and family recipes, but takes a progressive approach towards sharing plates and contemporary dishes, while the Continis' signature commitment to sourcing the best ingredients from Scotland and Italy is still very much in evidence. Light, crumbly ciabatta is served with exquisite green olive oil from Tuscan estate Fontodi; slices of sweetly delicate coppa from Emiglia-Romagna are perfectly paired with bright, fruity mulberry jam. A lavish fritto misto feast of squid, langoustine and courgettes sees its components arrive in as crisp and light batter as you are likely to find. Breakfast is worth mentioning too; from hearty black pudding focaccia and scrambled organic eggs to fresh fruit salads and excellent coffee, there are good options for an early meeting or a longer lazy brunch.
- Private dining: Up to 18 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chill out beats
- Capacity: 120 (30 outdoors)
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2004
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 42
- House wine: £19.50 per bottle