Contini George Street
- Telephone 0131 225 1550
- Opening times Mon–Thu 8am–11pm; Fri & Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 11am–9pm.
- Seasonal times Festival: kitchen open until 11pm, bar until midnight.
- Bar open Mon–Sun until midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–3pm, 5–10pm; Sat 10am–10.30pm; Sun 11am–8pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.contini.com/contini-george-street
Modern Italian cuisine in grand, elegant surroundings at the heart of Georgian Edinburgh.
If King George IV – whose statue stands just along the street – were to visit 21st-century Edinburgh, he’d likely enjoy a visit to Contini. The restaurant's Italian renaissance-style feature wall, blue corinithian columns and bright velour soft furnishings would surely appeal to a monarch famous for his flamboyance and love of spectactle. The modern menu at Contini however is characterised by the simple cooking of fresh organic ingredients creating strong flavours – pizza and stodgy pasta dishes are banished here. Start with a selection of primi to share such as fritti (beautifully fresh squid and vegetables rolled in flour and fried in butter), or small pasta dishes like veal tortellini or the ever-popular contadino (fresh orecchiette with piccante sausage). The light, soft pasta is made in-house with local free-range eggs and flour imported from Italy. Locally sourced organic meat features strongly among the secondi, including fennel-based spicy sausage with slow-cooked fagioli, or beautifully pink Borders lamb. Contini is open all day and offers one of Edinburgh’s finest breakfasts, where enormous bacon-stuffed focaccia rolls are a firm favourite.
- Private dining: Up to 18 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 120 (30 outdoors)
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2004
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 54
- House wine: £21 per bottle
Reviews & features
Shortlist Announced for our Reader Award 2019. Final voting now open!
We've released our shortlist for this year's List Reader Award sponsored by Birra Moretti. Pick between the top 5 restaurants in Edinburgh and Glasgow
Best breakfast and brunch in Edinburgh14 May 2018
The city's top places for tasty morning treats, from all-day breakfasts to a handy hair of the dog
These are the restaurants, cafés and bakeries that get top marks from us for dishing out good grub from the crack of dawn. Some have been chosen for successfully curing a hangover with their fry ups, some for their healthy, energy boosting dishes and…
Best Italian restaurants in Edinburgh16 Apr 2018
Get much more than pizza and pasta at the city's top Italian restaurants
Edinburgh's Italian restaurant scene is one of its oldest and remains one of its most popular. Decades-old family favourites continue to thrive alongside a new wave casual pizzerias and trendy neighbourhood diners. While a classy carpaccio isn't unheard…