The Waverley Tea Room
- Telephone 0141 616 6818
- Opening times Sun–Thu noon–12.30am; Fri/Sat noon–3am
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–late; Fri/Sat 11am–2am
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–9pm; Fri/Sat 10am–10pm.
- Average price £11 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.socialanimal.co.uk
Shawlands bar serving classic pub grub and teapot cocktails with plenty of outdoor space for al fresco dining.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
With an exposed stone wall on one side and a vast wine gantry on the other, this lofty Shawlands bar keeps things cosy with plenty of sofa booths and armchairs. If you visit at the weekend you can recline with brunch or a Sunday roast, while the regular menu includes burgers courtesy of Ketchup and pub grub classics. There’s comfort to be found in peppery haggis bon-bons with a punchy whisky sauce or a steak and ale pie that’s made with good quality beef and a rich gravy. The bar stocks a range of draught beer including Drygate, several varieties of champagne for celebratory occasions and a popular selection of classic cocktails with a twist, including a boozy version of iced tea shared from a pot. The combination of both a beer garden and an outdoor terrace make it a sought-after spot when the Glasgow sun shines.
- High point: Al fresco dining options
- Low point: Menu plays it a bit safe
- Notable dish: Haggis bon-bons with whisky sauce
- Private dining: 35 or 80 for drinks
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indie, rock and pop.
- Live entertainment: DJs Fri/Sat from 10pm
- Capacity: 110 (60 outdoors)
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2005
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Neighbourhood Watch: Shawlands, Glasgow25 Aug 2011
What’s it like? The unofficial hub of the Southside. Young, bustling and almost completely tenement-bound, packed with pizza places, big bars and some excellent independent shopping, Shawlands also benefits from proximity to the lovely space of Queen’s…