Valvona & Crolla Ristorante
- Telephone 0131 557 0088
- Seasonal times Extended opening during Festival and other events
- Food served Mon–Sat 8am–7pm; Sun 9.30am–5pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 4–7pm
- Average price £34.95 Private dining menu (set lunch); £21 (only until 7pm)
- Pre-theatre price £15 (2 courses) and £18 (3 courses)
- Website valvonacrolla.co.uk
Polished first floor restaurant draws together the very finest of Italian produce and preparation.
Drawing on its rich family heritage, Valvona & Crolla’s first floor city centre restaurant continues to blend the very best of Italian produce and preparation. Overlooking Multrees Walk, a décor refresh reveals a sober room of warm timber tones and shades of olive green, with splashes of colourful artwork and a well-stocked bar. Breakfast pastries from their own local bakery lead to an appealing all-day à la carte menu, showcasing antipasti platters to share and a handful of well-crafted pastas, mains and popular pizzas. An accomplished kitchen skilfully marries chilli and garlic with the delicate flavour of crab-dressed taglierini, alongside a more robust and rich beef cheek ragù with pappardelle. Choose something from the carefully composed wine list to pair with pistachio-crusted lamb rump with fennel, or pan-fried cod with black olives, or maybe try a Vin Santo dessert wine to complement honey-drenched gorgonzola. A good value pre-theatre deal and a cosy, wine cellar private dining room complete the picture in a very capable and polished venue with much to admire.
- High point: Attention to detail across ingredients and composition
- Low point: You might not make it past the ground-floor café
- Notable dish: Antipasto sharing platter
Launched in 2004 to celebrate Valvona & Crolla's 70th Anniversary, VinCaffè is a new concept wine bar, caffè and retail shop in Multrees Walk at the heart of quality shopping in Edinburgh city centre. The shop is packed with Italian food and wine, with takeaway hot drinks and snacks on the ground floor and a fully featured restaurant and wine bar on the 1st floor.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 10–20
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mix of Italian traditional and contemporary tunes
- Live entertainment: Lots of events – books, music, Italian themed, bands
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2004
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 29
- House wine: £19 per bottle
Events at this venue
Reviews & features
Christmas Food Q&A: Philip Contini – Valvona & Crolla17 Nov 2015
Valvona & Crolla's head honcho discusses his favourite seasonal treats
I'm planning a Christmas meal and want to offer a couple of unusual twists. What would you suggest? A panettone warmed in the oven and served with homemade crème Anglaise (or thin custard) with a bottle of ice-cold, slightly fizzy Moscato d’Asti.
Ice cream days: growing up in an old school ice cream parlour1 May 2009
Mary Contini of Valvonna & Crolla describes her enviable upbringing
It took two men, my father and Tommy Dougal, to lift up each milk churn and tip it into the stainless-steel vat. It could be four or five churns at a time – even more in July and August when the factory was working at full capacity. Once the 20-gallon…