- Telephone 0131 557 6668
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun 5pm–1am; Fri & Sat 3pm–1am
- Seasonal times Sun–Thu 5pm–1am (5pm–3am during August); Fri, Sat 3pm–1am (3pm–3am during August)
- Bar open Sun–Thu 5–11pm; Fri, Sat 3–11pm
- Website www.outhouse-edinburgh.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
The Outhouse’s location is both its plus point and its disadvantage. Hidden away down a cobbled lane off bustling Broughton Street, it’s not the easiest place to find unless you know you’re looking for it, but it’s also got a certain amount of backstreet charm, a feeling you’ve discovered somewhere off the beaten track in the heart of the city. Although the owners have made conscious steps to move away from a pre-club vibe and turn the place into an attraction in its own right, the atmosphere is still young and lively on weekend nights, and Fridays through summer see a DJ playing soul, funk and hip-hop tracks. It’s got a great beer garden, and although food isn’t something the Outhouse does on the premises, a link-up with excellent Leith pizza parlour La Favorita allows customers to order in pizza and pasta from a shortened menu for priority delivery. A feature is also made of regularly changing wall murals created by local artists, while the upstairs function room is used for private parties and some performances during the Fringe Festival.
- High point: The feeling of discovering a hidden secret
- Low point: Cobbled alleyways are tough on high heels
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Live music every second Wed; DJs every Fri in Jul and Aug; Fringe events throughout Aug
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £11/13 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
New compositions and superlative playing from the contemporary jazz quartet with Martin Kershaw (saxes), Graeme Stephen (guitar), Mario Caribe (bass) and Tom Bancroft (drums).
Thu 26 Jan
Reviews & features
Beer Gardens in Edinburgh1 Jun 2009
Gardens and beer, two words we like for themselves - but we like them even more when they are put together. So, in honour of summer, here’s our guide to Edinburgh’s top beer gardens.