Forth Floor Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 524 8350
- Opening times Mon 10am–6pm; Tue–Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 11am–6pm
- Bar open Mon 10am–6pm; Tue–Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 11am–6pm.
- Food served Mon noon–3pm; Tue–Sat noon–3pm, 6–10pm; Sun noon–3pm.
- Pre-theatre times Seasonal 'Market Menu'
- Average price £25 (set lunch); £30 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £30 (3 courses)
- Website www.harveynichols.com/restaurant/…
Good-looking food and spectacular views from this fine dining restaurant in Harvey Nicks.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Atop Harvey Nichols, that New Town shrine to prestige and glamour, the Forth Floor Restaurant has been striking a pose since 2002. Crisp white tablecloths, subdued lighting and unobtrusive décor create a pleasantly understated yet exclusive atmosphere, reassuringly akin to many of the capital’s other fine dining experiences. This is obviously no run-of-the-mill department store eatery, but where is the swank and spectacle you might expect, given the restaurant’s location? Satisfyingly, the pizzazz is provided by the food itself - seasonal Scottish produce intricately plated with precision and flair. Delicate octopus carpaccio with crispy potato string and harissa mayonnaise is pretty enough to frame and hang on the wall; the flavours, however, not as punchy as the presentation. Contrastingly, a piquant goat’s cheese mousse harmonises elegantly with both the spiced sweetness of a gingerbread crumb and earthy beetroot. A deconstructed confection of treacle sponge, compressed apple and clotted cream ice-cream hits the sweet spot, but the disassembled elements of time-honoured favourite cranachan underwhelm; each mouthful a reminder that great flavour, unlike some foodie fads, will never go out of fashion.
- High point: Fine Scottish ingredients, beautifully presented
- Low point: Not all dishes provide the same feast for the palate as for the eyes
- Notable dish: Goats' cheese mousse, gingerbread crumb, beetroot, baby leeks, Seville orange & chervil dressing
- Private dining: Up to 15 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soul, easy-listening - at a low level
- Capacity: 50 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 55
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- House wine: £19.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
Q&A: Stuart Muir – Harvey Nichols27 Oct 2014
Head Chef talks festive food as Christmas approaches
How does your restaurant change in look and atmosphere in December? What effect are you hoping for? Christmas is always an exciting time for Harvey Nichols and the Forth Floor. We are in full Christmas swing come December and there is always a great…