The Brasserie at the Glasshouse Hotel
- Telephone 0131 525 8200
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–1am.
- Food served Tue–Sat 5–9.30pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sat 5–7pm.
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.theglasshousehotel.co.uk
Calm hotel dining room featuring a confident kitchen near the Playhouse.
Navigating your way to this brasserie through the many corridors of the Glasshouse Hotel is a triumph in itself. At the end of this trek, the muted green hotel restaurant interior and handful of hotel guests leaves the place feeling a little wanting. However, the Scottish larder-led menu is delivered with flair and will pleasantly surprise those who have made it to dinner. Peppery black crowdie, deep-fried, crumbles nicely onto a bed of chargrilled and pickled vegetables, while ox tongue terrine makes an exciting change from the ubiquitous pâté. For mains, the medium-cooked ox and venison burger stack contains enough meat for two (but at the price you may argue it ought to). With no accompanying carbs, this and the perfectly pink duck breast dish may require a side order of excellent triple-cooked chips. Afterwards, if you're not in a rush to get to a Playhouse production, the newly refurbished bar upstairs makes a tranquil spot to enjoy an upmarket cocktail.
- Private dining: 14 & 14
- No. overnight rooms: 77
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Accoustic, pop, easy listening
- Capacity: 54 (72 outdoors)
- Largest group: 54
- Open since: 2004
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £24 per bottle