The Brasserie at the Glasshouse Hotel
- Telephone 0131 525 8200
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–1am.
- Food served Tue–Sat 5–9.30pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sat 5–7pm.
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.theglasshousehotel.co.uk
Calm hotel dining room featuring a confident kitchen near the Playhouse.
Yes, it is a trek from the foyer just off the top of Leith Walk to the second floor brasserie. Maybe leave a trail of breadcrumbs to find your way back, just in case. But staff couldn’t be nicer in guiding guests to ultimately arrive at this sleek green and wood-toned restaurant. Creamy cauliflower chowder nestles piping hot in its neat sourdough bread bowl. A tasty play on stovies delivers a chunk of corned brisket beef sitting alongside mashed potatoes strewn with black pudding. Mains are hearty and satisfying. Border lamb rump is deliciously pink, seared outside to a carmelised finish, but almost overwhelmed by the richness of the surrounding bacon and wild mushroom ragù. Deep, creamy Jerusalem artichoke velouté melds gently with haricot, butter bean and mushroom, and ribeye steaks arrive beautifully cooked and presented. However the show is stolen by a pudding of warm forced rhubarb with crunchy stem ginger crumble and tangy rhubarb and vanilla sorbet. Overall, nice for pre-Playhouse dining.
- Private dining: 14 & 14
- No. overnight rooms: 77
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Accoustic, pop, easy listening
- Capacity: 54 (72 outdoors)
- Largest group: 54
- Open since: 2004
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £24 per bottle