- Telephone 0131 228 1188
- Opening times Mon–Wed 9am–11pm; Thu–Sat 9am–midnight; Sun 12.30–11pm
- Bar open Mon–Wed 10am–11pm; Thu–Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 12.30–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Thu 9am–10pm; Fri/Sat 9am–11pm; Sun 10am–10pm.
- Average price £11 (lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Website www.cafegrande.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
There’s a resonance upon entering Café Grande, on the main drag of Bruntsfield, that makes it clear you have arrived in a neighbourhood institution. The easy friendliness with which the staff greet customers, the sense that diners at separate tables recognise each other, the way guests order without consulting the menu too thoroughly, all point to a warm and welcoming atmosphere. A light menu of sandwiches, burgers and nachos continues through the day while the evening offers more substantial starters and mains, including a good-value two-course set meal. The fried squid is a bit too firmly battered to be classified as tempura, but the rib-eye steak arrives perfectly pink. Pan-fried pork fillet is tasty, if a bit dry, and is complemented by generous and moist Stornoway black pudding. A strong range of desserts will tempt those with a sweet tooth, but the winner of the evening must be the sunshine-tangy lemon sorbet counterpointed with a bright splash of mixed berries to cleanse the palate and tie up with a bow a pleasant, soothing evening.
- High point: A good landing point for a relaxing evening out
- Low point: Comfort food slightly inconsistent in its execution
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Background mix of tunes
- Live entertainment: Jazz night Sundays
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 1997
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £15.30 per bottle