- Telephone 0141 553 1488
- Opening times Mon–Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 11am–midnight
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri 11am–3am; Sat 11am–3am
- Food served Sun–Thu 5–9.45pm; Fri 5–9.45pm; Sat noon–9.45pm
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri 5–8pm; Sat 4–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £12.95 (inc. glass of wine)
- Website www.metropolitan-bar.com
Swish cocktail bar and restaurant, with food from the grill and balcony views over Merchant Square.
One of several long-standing restaurants ringing the indoor courtyard of Merchant Square, Metropolitan caters to a dressy crowd looking to feel a bit flash, particularly of a weekend evening. A Mad Men-style old-fashioned Manhattan opulence prevails – you can order a whole bottle of spirits to the table (for sharing, obviously) – and there’s live piano music at weekends. The food – lots of Scottish meat and fish, prepared with European accents – presents plenty of reason alone for a visit. The Balcony Restaurant occupies the upper floor above the cocktail bar, with mezzanine tables overlooking the square representing prime perches. A starter of pan-fried scallops is attractively presented, dotted three in a row, each on a bed of celeriac and truffle purée. The pan-seared loin of venison – thin slices, nicely reddish in the middle – is served with similar precision, atop a nest of curly kale, shallots and three-way cooked chips, looking like they’re made with a set square. The desserts can leave a little to be desired, but you can skip to the cocktails, which show plenty of invention and aren't the priciest in town.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Weekends: piano player, singer or band 8pm–midnight
- Capacity: 200
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £17.25 per bottle
Events at this venue
Glasgow Easter Femme Lesbian Singles Event
Lesbian matchmaking event for single femme women.
Wed 25 Apr
£12–£14.95 / 0141 553 1488
- 19:00 – 21:00