- Telephone 0141 553 1488
- Opening times Mon–Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 11am–midnight
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri 11am–3am; Sat 11am–3am
- Food served Sun–Thu 5–9.45pm; Fri 5–9.45pm; Sat noon–9.45pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6.30pm
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95 (inc. glass of wine)
- Website www.metropolitan-bar.com
Swish cocktail bar and restaurant, with food from the grill and balcony views over Merchant Square.
Metropolitan’s website proudly talks about ‘cocktails with the girls’, and you can book a table or booth in the piano bar just for drinks here, perhaps enjoying a Glasgow Iced Tea (Auchentoshan, Glasgow gin, Mandarine Napoleon, rhubarb, lemon and Irn-Bru). With an open courtyard, a see-and-be-seen balcony and a huge list of inventive cocktails, this place does seem to be more about partying than dining, though there’s plenty of choice available from the kitchen. Burgers, steaks and pasta dishes rub shoulders on the menu with more exotic options, including beef rendang and chicken with harissa and couscous. Classic fish and chips delivers a huge fillet of haddock in a light and crunchy batter with peas and tartare sauce, for under twelve quid. Despite the hedonistic feel, daytimes are family-friendly, and a 60-seater private dining room is a favourite for multi-generational birthday parties.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop inside, music from neighbouring venues outside
- Live entertainment: Weekends: piano player, singer or band 8pm–midnight
- Capacity: 200
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.