- Telephone 0131 557 1050
- Food served Sun–Thu 11.30am–midnight; Fri, Sat 11.30–1am.
- Average price Soup and toastie £6; pie and a pint £7.50 (set lunch); £4 (bar snack)
A simple, classic Edinburgh bar whose near-century of history has been respected under new ownership.
The Waverley Bar lay untouched for a year after the death of its owner ‘Captain’ Ian Walker in early 2016, his family having owned it since the 1920s. But this much-missed fixture of Edinburgh’s traditional pub circuit has now returned. To their credit, owners Caledonian Heritable have changed the atmospheric Victorian interior very little, with the maroon wood panelling, bright horseshoe bar and decorative Fringe flyers from years gone by lending the same convivial air. The upstairs room hosts folk sessions on Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons, as well as Fringe shows in August. While the tap selection is limited to Tennant’s, Guinness or cider, 60 whiskies and 40 gins offer drinkers variety, and the food range has increased slightly from the Captain’s bags of free crisps to include lentil soup, toasties and a selection of hot pies.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Folk sessions on Fri evenings and Sun afternoons.
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1891 (2017 under new owners)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £15 per bottle
Events at this venueWhilst every effort has been made to ensure the information displayed here is accurate, always check with the venue before attending (especially during the Covid-19 pandemic).
Braw Gigs Presents: Fk Alexander / Free Magic Show / Fordell Research Unit
The return of Braw Gigs with a night of local experimental sounds from FK Alexander, Free Magic Show and Fordell Research Unit, upstairs in The Waverley Bar!
Thu 25 Nov
£5.50 / 0131 557 1050