The Elphinstone Hotel
- Telephone 01899 220044
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11am–1pm.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–9pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon–9pm.
- Website www.elphinstonehotel.co.uk
A cosy former coaching inn doing hearty food including Scottish comfort classics and global favourites utilising local and national produce.
This cosy hotel-restaurant at the east end of Biggar High Street used to be an old coaching inn and an air of old-fashioned charm still whispers warmly around every nook and cranny. A family-run business, the current owners Robert and Janette Allen have been at the helm since 1996 and in that time have built a strong reputation for good hearty food and exemplary service. The menu is comprehensive and its strong emphasis on seasonal, locally sourced produce means it changes regularly and according to availability. It includes Scottish comfort food staples such as Cullen skink, smoked salmon and haggis balls, alongside a range of steaks, burgers and other bar food favourites. A reasonably priced wine list and guest and seasonal ales can also be enjoyed in the hotel's two bars or in the beer garden. Tartan carpets and roaring fires in the winter give it a homely feel, and with rooms available it's a good option for a stopover.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 11
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: MOR
- Capacity: 60 in the restaurant and lounge bar, and up to 80 in the function room
- Largest group: 60
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £11.95 per bottle