Appealing Southside local with a fantastic selection of burgers, plenty of craft beers and a laid-back vibe.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Part of the Fuller Thomson empire, The Southern shares all the usual company trademarks; a fantastic selection of burgers, a battery of craft beers and a laid-back vibe. The bar has immediate visual appeal, with its high corniced ceilings, pale walls and astragal windows softened by wood furnishings and burnished copper lamps. The breakfast menu features the obligatory fry-up, pancakes or granola. At dinner, select from more than a dozen burger combos served with standard or slightly more virtuous sweet potato fries. Fear not if you’re vegetarian or gluten free; there are menu options to suit most requirements, including some token salads. With a killer selection of craft beers (from Scotland, the UK, Belgium and USA) and a compact wine and cocktail list, the biggest problem is choosing what to eat or drink. Fortunately, the savvy bar staff will happily dispense top tips on what your next tipple should be.
- High point: Great staff who provide expert and friendly advice
- Low point: Being too full to try the dessert menu
- Notable dish: The Southern Burger
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/newington/the-southern
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle