- Box office 0131 662 8926
- General enquiries 0131 662 8926
- Seasonal times Festival: late licence
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–11pm.
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (set evening meal)
- Website www.thesouthern.co.uk
Appealing Southside local with a fantastic selection of burgers, plenty of craft beers and a laid-back vibe.
Set in the heart of studentville, it would be easy for The Southern to succumb to cheap, easy burgers and a couple of value pints. But while the menu is still reasonably priced enough to attract regular student custom, it's clear from the 20 rotating cask ale pumps and the expansive range of bottles that this is a cut above the average budget boozer. All burgers are handmade - and there are a lot of them. There's plenty of choice for veggies, whether you like mushroom or halloumi, and if you're not in the mood for a two hander, try a hot dog. There is an expansive range of spirits (gin drinkers in particular will find they are well looked after), and plenty of floor space to move around and dance to whatever Nirvana song is playing (Kurt Cobain famously played there many moons ago).
- High point: Good burger and beer selection
- Low point: Uncomfortable seats
- Notable dish: The Southern BBQ
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/newington/the-southern
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle