The Brass Monkey
- Telephone 0131 556 1961
- Seasonal times Open till 3am during Festival
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am.
- Average price £3 (set lunch); £3 (set evening meal)
Student-crowded watering hole decorated with movie posters, popular for board games and daily film screenings.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Home to a cushioned cinema room, selection of board games, dartboard and arcade machine, there’s plenty to do besides drink at The Brass Monkey. However the drinks alone, which are cheaper than usual and come with a student discount, keep the bar busy. Lively students take to the daily 3pm cinema screenings; popular for the surround sound and BYO film policy, whilst the remaining nooks and crannies fill up with chatty locals come evening. The offering fulfils basic pub expectations in terms of the usual spirits, wines, bottled ciders and draught beers but their previous lunch deal has recently been replaced by some basic pre-made toasties which even the bar staff couldn’t recommend.
- High point: A quirky hangout for a rainy day
- Low point: Popcorn and sweets brought in from elsewhere banned for movie screening
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classics
- Live entertainment: Daily backroom cinema screenings at 3pm
- Capacity: 50 seated, 230 standing
- Largest group: 50
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £12 (£9 students) per bottle
Reviews & features
Bar crawls: Edinburgh - The Prudent Student18 Nov 2011
A cheap and cheerful crawl from Marchmont to Grassmarket
I have a confession to make. I’ve never really been much of a bar crawl sort of gal. The idea of systematic drinking (vb. to lash, I suppose) with a bunch of overgrown rugby boys, with their girlfriend’s underwear on as outer wear, has never really…