Tchai-Ovna House of Tea
- Box office 0141 357 4524
- General enquiries 0141 357 4524
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11am–11pm
- Food served Mon–Sun 11am–11pm
- Average price £11 (lunch); £11 (evening meal)
- Website www.tchaiovna.com
A transcendent celebration of Slovak tea house culture tucked away in Glasgow’s West End.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Any film crew needing an early 1970s hangout could do worse than check out Tchai-Ovna for a readymade set. It’s the embodiment of a laid-back hippie den. With its stone floors, colourful Eastern drapes, scattered cushions, shoogly tables and Turkish lamps, it has ‘chill out’ written all over it. Then there’s the tea – a breathtaking profusion taking up most of the menu with black teas, green teas, spiced teas, medicinal teas and fermented teas from across the globe. Nepalese gold is noteworthy – light and tangy with a mild calming warmth. Food includes snacks – dolmades, baba ganoush, cheeses and sandwiches – while the mains has falafel, red dhal, and a mixed platter of Middle Eastern delights. Chipotle chilli is buzzing with smoky roasted coconut and bright roast veg, served in a large portion with pitta. A small stage plays host to songwriters, poets and storytellers and a cosy candlelit charm descends on performance evenings.
- High point: A rare alcohol-free environment
- Low point: No table service – remember to order at kitchen
- Notable dish: Nepalese gold tea
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options
- Music on stereo: Chill out/ Eastern folk/Jazz
- Live entertainment: Sing songwriters/live jazz/poetry and story reading
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: Bookings not taken
- Open since: 2000
Reviews & features
Time for tea, at last - the best tea rooms23 Jul 2009
Let’s play word association. Tea and … well, there’s coffee, and for the last decade or two we’ve been in a mocha monopoly with coffee chains over-populating our high streets, railway stations, book shops and most places in between. Tea and…