- Telephone 0141 204 0706
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 12.30pm–midnight
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–midnight; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website republicbierhalle.com
Underground beer hall serving up two-for-one pizzas, hundreds of beers from around the world and DJ sets on weekends.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The steep steps leading down to the long-established Bier Halle may feel a little treacherous, but as soon as the door opens it becomes clear this is a drinking (and eating) den worth the careful descent. Industrial-inspired decoration with dark wooden benches keeps the large space feeling cool rather than clinical, and staff are attentive to their (often very many) customers. The place is famed for its buy-one-get-one-free deal on the range of pizzas – all 22 of them. Among the four new pizza options for this year is the excellent avocado and poached egg pizza, perhaps a hat tip to the indefatigable Instagram trend, complete with perfectly dippy yolk at the centre. Hundreds of beers might have you swithering at first, but take a stab in the dark and order one that looks unfamiliar. A new favourite might only be a sip away.
- High point: Monstrous selection of world beers
- Low point: Signal-blocking basement so no card machine
- Notable dish: Avocado, bacon and poached egg pizza
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Electric / eclectic
- Live entertainment: DJs Fri/Sat 9-12pm
- Capacity: 184 in bar, 120 on Gordon St
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 1999
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16.85 (litre) per bottle