The Guildford Arms
- Telephone 0131 556 4312
- Opening times Mon–Thu 11am–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–midnight; Sun 12.30–11pm
- Seasonal times Edinburgh Festival: Mon–Sun 11am–midnight
- Bar open Mon–Wed 11am–11pm; Thu/Fri 11am–midnight; Sun 10am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 3–9.30pm; Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–9pm.
- Average price £18 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.guildfordarms.com
One of Edinburgh’s most beautiful old bars, which quietly delivers a quality pint and a decent plate of pub grub too.
First up, it's beautiful and everything you’ve heard about the ceiling, the gleaming dark wood and the brass twinkling in the gentle Edinburgh light is true. But pubs don’t stay open, in continuous ownership, for well over a hundred years just because they’re pretty. Perhaps the fact that the Guildford’s social media pages feature picture after picture of its guest ales, rather than its gleaming gantry, is the key to its success. Beer is a serious business here, with a continuously changing range of cask and craft ales and beers gracing the taps. And while there are some familiar faces, there’s always something new to discover – whether it’s a new brewer or a single cask of something special. The food is resolutely Scottish and perhaps a little dated, but everything’s prepared on the premises and service is swift and helpful. Kudos to a grand old lady.
- High point: It is a truly beautiful bar
- Low point: The food could do with a tiny update
- Notable dish: Crombie's sausages and mash
- Private dining: Up to 18 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Live bands
- Capacity: 56 (199 standing)
- Largest group: 20–22
- Open since: 1896
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £14.45 per bottle
Events at this venue
There are 2 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Caledonian Folk and Blues at the Guildford: 23rd Year
Sandy Tweeddale Band, Yard of Ale and Guests The festival's best free music event hosted by Sandy Tweeddale Band and Yard of Ale featuring guests Bedford Falls, Mike Whellans, Delacroix, Coaltown Daisies, Hot Tin Roof, On the Wagon, Mad Ferret Band, and FCUKulele.
Thu 17 Aug
Fri 18 Aug
Sat 19 Aug
Ken Ramage Jazz at the Guildford: 14th Year
Ken Ramage and Friends Annual Jazz Jamboree New Orleans to Dixie to swing, ragtime and more! Ken Ramage Dixie Six and trio, Diplomats of Jazz, and the great Roy Williams, Europe's top jazz trombonist.