- Box office 0131 229 5143
- General enquiries 0131 229 5143
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11am–1am
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–4pm, 5–9.30pm; Sat/Sun 10am–4pm, 5–9.30pm.
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Website www.bennetsbaredinburgh.co.uk
Modern version of a beautifully traditional pub serving interesting food.
This review is taken from the 2011 edition.
Established in 1875, Bennets feels reassuringly as if little has changed in over a century. This is not the place to come looking for lattes, cocktails or wi-fi. It is most definitely somewhere to come and see the original Victorian fittings of the front bar, enjoy well-kept cask ales and a good range of malt whiskies. Stovies and steak pies help line the stomach, the latter a very credible example with beef from nearby Saunderson’s butchers and only slightly let down by the accompanying tinned veg. Food is served in both front and back rooms but the back, with its own entrance on Valleyfield Street, is the quieter and welcomes accompanied children until 8pm. A mix of locals, students and theatregoers from the King’s ensures a friendly atmosphere and this is one of the few pubs in Edinburgh to screen Super 15 rugby games, making it popular with sports fans.
- High point: Well preserved interior
- Low point: More of a drinking than a dining destination
- Private dining: Up to 56 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening in the daytime, louder in the evenings
- Capacity: 182 total including 44 seated
- Largest group: Enquiries welcome
- Open since: 1906
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £16 per bottle