The Shore Bar & Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 553 5080
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–12.30am.
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 12.30–10.30pm.
- Average price £15 (set lunch); £30 (evening meal)
- Website www.fishersbistros.co.uk
Leith’s classic destination with good gastro-pub food and a steady crew at the helm.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Some Edinburgh dining spots have earned the right to be considered classics. Reliable, high quality, comfortable, welcoming – dining at The Shore feels restorative. To speak of dark wooden surrounds, starched white table clothes, and ‘bright as a button’ service might sound a bit hackneyed but The Shore feels like the original, like coming home to the mother ship. If classics appeal, try a pile of mussels in unctuous cream, white wine and garlic or the fork-tender beef carpaccio with parmesan, pickled mushrooms and rocket, drizzled with pistachio & truffle dressing – an absolute stand out. Vegetarians are rewarded with creamy and savoury broccoli, walnut and blue cheese risotto. Roasted hake, all fish sweetness and too rarely available, rides proudly aloft seaweed & crab risotto with spinach. Mad Pie Mondays offer 2-for-1 bubbling fish or venison pies, and haddock and chips come Japanese-style crunchy coated in panko breadcrumbs. Brioche bread and butter pudding with lavender custard is a great twist on another classic. Consider enjoying these accompanied by live jazz Tuesday and Thursday evenings or Sunday lunchtime.
- High point: Eating well in relaxed but stylish surroundings
- Low point: Hard to resist three courses
- Notable dish: Beef carpaccio
- Private dining: Up to 32 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz, soul, reggae
- Live entertainment: Jazz every Tuesday and Thursday 8.30pm, Sunday lunchtime, first Saturday of month jazz 2–5pm, plus Leith Jazz Festival
- Capacity: 32 (+35 in the bar)
- Largest group: 32
- Open since: 1983
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
Events at this venue
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
John Elliott Trio
Classic jazz arrangements and standards from pianist Elliott.
Reviews & features
Guide to Scotland's Festivals 2015: Scotland's Year of Food and Drink2 Feb 2015
There's much more to Scotland's food culture than deep fried Mars Bars
Hopefully, these days it’s only bad Edinburgh Fringe comedians that are making those jokes about all the food in Scotland being deep-fried. Yes, Scotland still does an excellent fish and chips (particularly good when eaten next to the sea, while dodging…
The Shore Bar & Restaurant8 May 2008
Leith is one of those hologramatic places that’s both new and old at the same time, depending on which particular angle catches your eye. Weathered sandstone or flash flats, docking cranes or design studios, venerable eating spots and new Michelin…
Shake up on Edinburgh's Shore dining scene25 Feb 2008
The Shore Bar and Restaurant in Leith has been taken over by the team behind near-neighbours Fishers, who hope to revive one of the district's more venerable eating, drinking and music spots. Fishers-trained chefs Jenny Daly and Martin Laurentowicz have…