Nobles Café, Bar & Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 629 7215
- Seasonal times Festival: later licence
- Bar open Mon–Fri noon–1am; Sat/Sun 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10pm; Sat/Sun 10am–4.30pm; 5pm–10.30pm.
- Average price £20 (lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Website www.noblesbarleith.co.uk
One of Leith's best looking pubs, serving good food and full of old-world charm.
Nobles may technically be a pub, but it certainly doesn't act like one. Set in the heart of Leith's historic shore, the re-imagined Victorian space is filled with colourful mismatched furniture, vivacious artwork and a giant framed picture of Bill Murray. Pub grub staples are nowhere to be seen on the elegant evening mains menu, which features the likes of roast pheasant, Scottish crab claw and squash jalousie. The starters too are a cut above your average bite, with miso-glazed aubergine and confit rainbow trout taking centre stage. For lunch, the burger is a go-to choice, with a range of optional toppings such as cheddar, mozzarella and bacon. There's an ever-rotating selection of craft beers and ales on tap, and gin and wine fans will find an expansive, well thought-out selection. If the giant Bill Murray picture piqued your interest, hold onto your hats: there's also a portrait of Bjork.
- High point: Imaginative menu with locally sourced ingredients
- Low point: It's a little pricey for bar food
- Notable dish: Crab claw
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
Bar Crawls: Edinburgh - No Sleep Till Leith18 Nov 2011
From central Edinburgh and Leith the best way possible – by the bars
Determining the point at which Leith Walk starts has baffled philosophers, locals and postal workers for decades. Haddington Place and Leith Street have (understandably) become subsumed within this long, iconic thoroughfare that joins Edinburgh with…