Nobles Café, Bar & Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 629 7215
- Seasonal times Festival: later licence
- Bar open Mon–Fri noon–midnight; Sat/Sun 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10pm; Sat/Sun 10am–4pm; 5pm–10.30pm.
- Website www.noblesbarleith.co.uk
A beautiful historic bar with a sophisticated menu to match.
Year on year, Nobles has evolved from decent pub to dining destination and now appears to have hit the sweet spot. Its elegant Victorian dark panelled walls, stained glass and nautical curiosities celebrate the rich maritime heritage of Leith but there is nothing old-fashioned about the menus. A chestnut mushroom and beetroot pâté comes with a tarragon gel and pickled mushrooms creating a surprising, deeply delicious combination. Shetland mussels are fat and juicy in a properly garlicky white wine broth. Save room if you can for dessert: the salted chocolate délice is rich and dark, and comes with a luscious rose, pistachio and cardamom ice-cream. If you can get a table weekend brunch is well worth a return trip (though locals might prefer if that was kept a secret). With inventive cocktails and curated local beers, Nobles is a true Leith gem.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Sixties classics
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
Bar Crawls: Edinburgh - No Sleep Till Leith18 Nov 2011
From central Edinburgh and Leith the best way possible – by the bars
Determining the point at which Leith Walk starts has baffled philosophers, locals and postal workers for decades. Haddington Place and Leith Street have (understandably) become subsumed within this long, iconic thoroughfare that joins Edinburgh with…