The City Café
- Box office 0131 220 0125
- General enquiries 0131 220 0125
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11am–1am
- Seasonal times Festival Mon–Sun 9am–3am
- Bar open Mon–Sun 9am–1am. Extended in Festival to 3am. Alcohol served from 11am
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm
- Average price (set lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Website www.thecitycafe.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
Checkerboard floors, neon signs, Art Deco lights and booth seating – the City Cafe ticks most of these obligatory American-style diner boxes. An all-day menu covers familiar comfort food staples with mac and cheese, southern fried chicken and club sandwiches all outshone by bountiful breakfasts and signature burgers. For most, the impressive Apache burger with its tangy hickory smoked BBQ sauce and super chunky home fries should suffice. For others lamenting Adam Richman’s Man vs Food retirement there’s a 3kg burger-eating challenge that is sure to test anyone’s resolve. Self styled as ‘diner by day, drinks by night’, there’s a fairly standard range of draughts on tap, boosted by a stand-out selection of bottled Scottish craft beers with Stateside cocktails and quirky home-made bacon-flavoured vodka perking up a reviving Bloody Mary. With a chilled-out daytime vibe that caters for all, the joint can liven up with soulful and funky tunes matching an eclectic clientele enjoying pitchers of beer or cocktails before late-night weekend DJs crank it up a notch.
- High point: Funky and fun with top-notch burgers
- Low point: Baby back ribs not so finger-licking good
- Notable dish: Breakfasts and burgers (the Apache the most popular)
From February 2013. We’ve all heard of the Man V Food phenomenon; a programme so full of food that it makes you at once nauseated and extremely hungry … well this year a popular stateside-themed spot in Edinburgh has decided to jump on the craze and challenge Edinburgh to its first year-long Ultimate Burger Challenge.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 150 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Upstairs: Fri/Sat night DJs; downstairs (City2) is bookable
- Capacity: 200
- Largest group: 150 at City Café 2 downstairs
- Open since: 1985
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's City Cafe introduces 7lb burger challenge1 Feb 2013
The mega-sandwich will cost you £30, unless you can finish it in 45 minutes
The City Café has delved deeper into its 1950s Americana and come up with a food challenge that would floor most, but undoubtedly not all, of our supersized cousins across the pond. Their Ultimate Burger Challenge offers up Edinburgh's biggest burger…
Bar crawls: Edinburgh - The Prudent Student18 Nov 2011
A cheap and cheerful crawl from Marchmont to Grassmarket
I have a confession to make. I’ve never really been much of a bar crawl sort of gal. The idea of systematic drinking (vb. to lash, I suppose) with a bunch of overgrown rugby boys, with their girlfriend’s underwear on as outer wear, has never really…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 5 reviews of The City Café./5 from RSS feed of these comments