The City Café
- Box office 0131 220 0125
- General enquiries 0131 220 0125
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11am–1am
- Seasonal times Festival Mon–Sun 9am–3am
- Bar open Mon–Sun 9am–1am. Extended in Festival to 3am. Alcohol served from 11am
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm
- Average price (set lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Website www.thecitycafe.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
The City Café is an American-style diner set just off the Royal Mile – think large booths, neon lights and a queue for the pool table. The location, price and style mean that it's a honey pot for students and visitors to the capital. The tag line of ‘diner by day, drinks by night’ ensures that the space is fully utilised at all times and you can expect a short wait for the booths during peak times. The menu is filled with expected diner dishes including a selection of burgers, fried chicken, mac ‘n’ cheese and the all-day breakfast. As the diner doubles as a bar in the evening the drinks menu boasts almost as many options, with cocktail pitchers, homemade milkshakes and the usual selection of bottled and draught beers. Friday and Saturday nights are enhanced by live DJ sets.
- High point: Lively city-centre location
- Low point: Quantity wins out over quality when it comes to the food
- Notable dish: All day breakfast and homemade milkshakes
From February 2013. We’ve all heard of the Man V Food phenomenon; a programme so full of food that it makes you at once nauseated and extremely hungry … well this year a popular stateside-themed spot in Edinburgh has decided to jump on the craze and challenge Edinburgh to its first year-long Ultimate Burger Challenge.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 150 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Upstairs: Fri/Sat night DJs; downstairs (City2) is bookable
- Capacity: 200
- Largest group: 150 at City Café 2 downstairs
- Open since: 1985
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's City Cafe introduces 7lb burger challenge1 Feb 2013
The mega-sandwich will cost you £30, unless you can finish it in 45 minutes
The City Café has delved deeper into its 1950s Americana and come up with a food challenge that would floor most, but undoubtedly not all, of our supersized cousins across the pond. Their Ultimate Burger Challenge offers up Edinburgh's biggest burger…
Bar crawls: Edinburgh - The Prudent Student18 Nov 2011
A cheap and cheerful crawl from Marchmont to Grassmarket
I have a confession to make. I’ve never really been much of a bar crawl sort of gal. The idea of systematic drinking (vb. to lash, I suppose) with a bunch of overgrown rugby boys, with their girlfriend’s underwear on as outer wear, has never really…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 5 reviews of The City Café./5 from RSS feed of these comments