The City Café
- Box office 0131 220 0125
- General enquiries 0131 220 0125
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11am–1am
- Seasonal times Festival Mon–Sun 9am–3am.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 9am–1am. Extended in Festival to 3am. Alcohol served from 11am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm.
- Average price £13 (lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Website www.thecitycafe.co.uk
Complete with a large function room, The City Café and its friendly team offer beer, big portions and all round good vibes.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Amidst the Cowgate’s late-night drinking spots, over time The City Café has become a magnet to those starting the night young. With DJs at the weekends blasting out Motown and funk, groups of revellers set up camp in the café's booths, tucking into ginormous burgers, sharing pitchers of beer and eyeing up the pool table. The real daredevils can sign up for the burger challenge, while the rest of us admire the pictures of previous competitors hanging proudly on the wall by the glowing neon lights. Open bright and early from 9am, the breakfast menu is predominantly American and fills hungry tummies with eggs benedict, royale and florentine, syrupy waffle stacks and full Scottish brekkies. Not surprisingly, this, and the reasonably priced kids' menu makes it a hit with families – until the serious drinkers arrive, anyway.
- High point: Surprisingly strong Scottish beer selection
- Low point: Steer clear if you're trying to be healthy and sensible
- Notable dish: Posh mac 'n' cheese with bacon lardons
- Private dining: Up to 150 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Motown and funk
- Live entertainment: DJs, bookable function space downstairs, pub quiz on Mondays
- Capacity: 200
- Largest group: 150 at City Café 2 downstairs, 100 Seated.
- Open since: 1985
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Goose promises to entertain you, challenge your knowledge and make you want to return every week to this pub quiz. Grab some pals and start working on your original team name.
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's City Cafe introduces 7lb burger challenge1 Feb 2013
The mega-sandwich will cost you £30, unless you can finish it in 45 minutes
The City Café has delved deeper into its 1950s Americana and come up with a food challenge that would floor most, but undoubtedly not all, of our supersized cousins across the pond. Their Ultimate Burger Challenge offers up Edinburgh's biggest burger…
Bar crawls: Edinburgh - The Prudent Student18 Nov 2011
A cheap and cheerful crawl from Marchmont to Grassmarket
I have a confession to make. I’ve never really been much of a bar crawl sort of gal. The idea of systematic drinking (vb. to lash, I suppose) with a bunch of overgrown rugby boys, with their girlfriend’s underwear on as outer wear, has never really…