The Cumberland Bar
- Telephone 0131 558 3134
- Bar open Mon–Wed noon–midnight; Thu–Sat noon–1am; Sun 11am–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–9pm; Sun 1–7pm.
- Pre-theatre times Fish Tea for £6.50 – Mon–Fri 4–6pm
- Website www.cumberlandbar.co.uk
A proper pub with a proper leafy beer garden, serving good grub in the elegant New Town.
A varied and loyal crowd fill the snugs of the Cumberland on a chilly day, enjoying comfort food and fine ales. Sunnier weather brings the buzz of chatter outside, under the huge weeping willow in the garden. Seasonal menus feature the classics, from chunky beer-battered haddock and chips to pies, bangers and burgers with Scottish accents – the likes of haggis and whisky jam are dotted throughout. Weekdays bring a sense of home-from-home in the form of an early evening special fish tea, complete with a cup of tea and bread and butter on the side. A nice selection from cask and keg, both regular and guest, further verify its traditional pub credentials. This New Town favourite can be relied upon for good food and drink in a convivial atmosphere.
- Private dining: 28 sitting, 40 standing
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: Circa 1960s (new owners since 2012)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £15 per bottle
Reviews & features
Beer Gardens in Edinburgh1 Jun 2009
Gardens and beer, two words we like for themselves - but we like them even more when they are put together. So, in honour of summer, here’s our guide to Edinburgh’s top beer gardens.