Whiskers Wine Café
- Telephone 0131 343 3681
- Opening times 9am – late daily
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–midnight; Sun 12.30–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Breakfast/lunch menu available until 5pm.
- Website www.whiskerswinecafe.co.uk
Stockbridge may have lost Henri but it has gained an excellent wine bar and café with a top-notch chef.
The whiskers in the name actually belong to a mouse, so don’t go thinking this is a cat café. Henri of Edinburgh will be missed, but the new owner of this space, Jonnie Cook, comes fresh from Chop House and has dropped the deli to focus on cooking food beautifully. He didn’t go far to find suppliers – meat comes from George Bower a few doors down, fish from Armstrong’s and cheese from Mellis. He’s researched the wine thoroughly (and the beers, choosing Tempest Brewery) and has 31 available by glass or carafe, which the informative staff will happily match with your meal. Food comes on small plates with big attention to detail – cured sea trout with gin cucumber, avocado and nori or highland venison tartare with egg yolk and brioche. Minus the deli shelves, the space is surprisingly roomy and the atmosphere low-key, all the better to focus on the food and wine, or even a leisurely breakfast.
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Upbeat jazz and funk
- Live entertainment: Monthly tastings and pairings, with other events planned.
- Capacity: 50 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2019
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 31
- House wine: £24 per bottle