- Telephone 07577667334
- Food served Tue/Wed 6–9.30pm; Thu–Sat 5.30–9.30pm; Sun noon–2pm, 5.30–8pm. Closed Mon.
A small but ambitious venue with a passionate chef specialising in Macanese dishes.
According to its exuberant owners, there are few authentic Macanese restaurants outside of Macau itself and this is the only one in the UK. So it’s hard not to be intrigued by the cuisine of this former Portuguese trading post when dining at this intimate venue. Infused with traditions from Portugal, Goa, Malacca and Macau, its fusion feels naturally evolved rather than manufactured. The menu is concise, featuring daily specials of Macau classics. Kick off with a polvo salad of octopus, satisfyingly seasoned with coriander, mint, chilli and lime, with a hit of sea saltiness coming through the fresh citrus tang. Come early if you want to catch the bacalhau a Macau (salted cod in coconut sauce) because it sells out to devotees, but the house gambas piri piri – spicy prawns still in their shells – won’t disappoint. Rabo de boi, rich oxtail simmered down in cinnamon soy sauce, is truly delicious, the spice dancing over the sweetness of the meat. Pastel de nata, the classic Portuguese egg custard in flaky pastry shells, are an excellent way to finish up with sweet white Ipoh coffee.
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chinese and Asian tunes
- Live entertainment: Occasional fado nights
- Capacity: 26
- Largest group: 26
- Open since: 2019
- BYOB: £4 corkage (No alcohol licence here, so always best to bring your own)