Soul Food Kitchen
- Telephone 0141 406 5292
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Food served Tue noon–7.45pm; Wed/Thu noon–8.45pm; Fri/Sat noon–19.45pm; Sun noon–6.45pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.soulfoodkitchen.co.uk
A welcoming space beneath the Argyll Hotel serving generous bowls and platters of freshly prepared vegan food.
Soul Food is a bold name with a bold and noble aim. No jambalaya or gumbo here — the ’soul’ refers to well-being; food that’s better for your body and spirit. Because everything on the menu here is entirely plant-based. It starts a conversation for sure — because recent trends in veganism have looked to focus more on the natural beauty of vegetables and how to enhance their flavours, rather than dishes that set out to copy the meaty originals. But owner Bobby Bashir and head chef Debbie Moran, previously of café Soy Division, are clear of purpose that the meat-eating ‘experience’ as it were, is one that non-meat eaters can still crave and enjoy, and that everyone will benefit from these (undoubtedly) healthier versions of chilli ‘beef’ ramen – where perhaps the tofu egg is the most curiously successful element, or a bacon cheeseburger made with seitan and coconut bacon. The cauliflower hot wings, with a smokey, fruity dry rub, and the coconut and beetroot soup – thick, sweet, nutty and creamy all at the same time – are the ones that vie for best dish on the menu, while kombucha (fermented, sparkling tea) on tap, and various workshops such as fermentation, meditation, tempeh, are other unique and vibrant touches.
- No. overnight rooms: 58
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz
- Live entertainment: Poetry nights, live music, food workshops
- Capacity: 60 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2019
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £16 per bottle