- Telephone 0131 225 4021
- Opening times Mon–Sun 9am–9pm
- Seasonal times 9am–11pm in Festival
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm.
- Average price £13.95 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Website lebistrot.co.uk
Café-bistro with a strong French accent located in a grand building which houses the Institut Français Écosse.
The Auld Alliance seems to be going strong as far as the French Institute is concerned. Their 2018 move to an imposing building at the corner of Parliament Square aims to give them a platform to promote French culture, and how better to do that than through the medium of food? Operated by Patisserie Maxime, the Bistrot spreads across two rooms on the ground floor of the institute, where bentwood chairs, blackboard wine lists and piles of bread contrasting with exactingly laid-out patisserie on the counter invoke the feeling of a provincial French city. Bien sur, there’s a set menu which is competitively priced for this part of town and features options like fish of the day, sausage of the day and chicken brochettes, with snacks like croque monsieur available on an all-day menu. Service can be a little haphazard when things are particularly busy, but cheerful staff keep you informed.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Live entertainment: Jazz on monthly themed nights, eg Seafood Night
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2018
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.