Jules Verne Brasserie Francaise
- Telephone 0131 629 2670
- Food served Sun–Thu 9am–10pm; Fri/Sat 9am–10:30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Noon–7pm.
- Average price £13 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13
- Website julesvernerestaurant.co.uk
French-flavoured bistro and café at the top of Leith Walk.
Just across the road from the Playhouse, Jules Verne Brasserie Française aims to be an easy going bistro where everyone is welcome. They’re open from breakfast time with menus running right through till the evening, with frequent deals available. The interior is a little lacklustre; it’s a bit brown, with lots of globes and maps to reflect Jules’ travels, but the food is bright and cheerful. Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs make a tasty brekkie while a lunchtime steak frîtes will convince you that you’re in a Parisian bistro. Pastries are created by an in-house chef/pâtissier and impress too, and there’s outside dining to watch the world go by in the warmer months.
- Provides: Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 80s pop
- Live entertainment: Wine and piano night on Saturday
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £19 per bottle
Reviews & features
Festive Food Q&A: Frederic Deprez – Jules Verne owner and chef16 Nov 2018
Champagne Soup cocktails anyone? Frederic Deprez shares some French Christmas secrets
'Tis the season to gather together with loved ones and eat ourselves into a stupor until the new year. Since we've been dreaming non-stop of turkey and trimmings since the weather turned cold, we decided to ask some professional foodies about their…