Brasserie Prince by Alain Roux
- Telephone 0131 557 5000
- Opening times 7am–late.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–1pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30–10.30am, noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat/Sun 7–11am, noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre price Daily grand-mére special £17.50
- Website www.roccofortehotels.com/hotels-and-resorts/…
Brand new at The Balmoral, this restaurant pairs Scottish produce with classic French cooking to create a high-end brasserie experience.
The Balmoral’s Brasserie Prince by Alain Roux opened in the summer of 2018 to replace Hadrian’s. First impressions are strong: a major re-jig has brought the restaurant and bar together as one long space with its own Princes Street entrance, so bar-perching and people-watching is available in spades which takes the edge off the big dining room. It looks good too – pretty lights, squishy cushions and a muted palette of blues and greens. The double-sided menu underlines that this is a restaurant taking aim squarely at the Auld Alliance – it's in English on one side and French on the other. Said menu lists classics like onion soup, bouillabaisse and coq au vin, plus daily specials like cassoulet and veal blanquette. But let's be clear: this is as far from a scruffy Paris back street as the Balmoral itself is from a backpackers' hostel. So the bouillabaisse features elegant slivers of fish, rather than a crammed bowl of shells and chunks, there’s a charge for the bread basket and a (well-dressed and satisfyingly salty) feta salad starter sits north of a tenner, as does a gin and tonic. Efforts have been made to use Scotland’s larder among the Gallic charm, and service is slick and generally well-informed. There are a lot of good things here, but with Edinburgh's natives as well-informed as they are spoiled for dining choice, it remains to be seen if the high-end approach will hit the high notes with them as well as the hotel's residents.
- Private dining: various function rooms in hotel
- No. overnight rooms: 188
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: AOR
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 200 in hotel function room
- Open since: 2018
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £22 per bottle