Krua Khun Mae
- Telephone 0131 225 7007
- Seasonal times Open noon–10.30pm during festival
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–3pm, 5–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Website www.kruakhunmae.co.uk
Thai restaurant showing creative flair in its dishes – and and even its tables.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Krua Khun Mae is located just off Cockburn Street, down one of the famous thoroughfare’s atmospheric closes, offering a welcome retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city. Inside, the tables are attractive and unusual, with glass tops covering individual decorations beneath. The quality of the food matches up to the pleasant atmosphere and will please traditionalists or those looking for more of a fusion touch. If you’re in the latter group, the crispy wonton with haggis and cheddar accompanied by sweet chilli sauce is perhaps the ultimate in Scottish-Thai comfort food; one of those dishes that feels like it shouldn’t work but really does. If that sounds a little on the heavy side, it’s easy to steer things back to more delicate flavours and textures with the classic simplicity of pad Thai. Alternatively, if you’re craving a curry, the gaeng pha (jungle curry) perfectly combines heat with the aromatic qualities of fresh galangal. A restaurant that’s a treat for the eyes and for the tastebuds.
- High point: Wonderfully aromatic gaeng pha
- Low point: BYOB only available Sun-Thu
- Notable dish: Gaeng pha (jungle curry)
- Private dining: Up to 25 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's high chairs
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £13.75 per bottle