Krua Khun Mae
- Telephone 0131 225 7007
- Seasonal times Festival: open Mondays
- Food served Tue–Sun noon–3pm, 5–10.30pm. Closed Mon.
Charming restaurant offering wholesome Thai food and warm service.
Tucked away on a tiny close, Krua Khun Mae can be easily missed but it’s worth seeking out when you fancy classic Thai food. The restaurant is charmingly decorated with ornate wood carvings, a pagoda-style bar, and a ceiling covered in climbing vines. The staff wear traditional dress and offer attentive yet unobtrusive service. Large skewers of chicken breast with chunky satay sauce is a filling starter, perfect for sharing. Goong hom pha (marinated king prawns) are delicate, crispy, and loaded with flavour, their smaller portion leaving room for the big bowls to come. Gaeng pha is a rustic, earthy curry with bold flavours and as much heat as you like, packed with at least four of your five a day plus your choice of protein, including tofu or veggies only. The same goes for all the dishes, allowing you to customise to suit your own tastes and diet. While the dessert list consists of only four items, the coconut or pandan ice creams offer welcome relief if you’ve gone OTT with the dried chilis on your pad Thai.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: Thai country music
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £13.75 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage (Only available Tue–Thu)