- Telephone 0131 221 1554
- Seasonal times Festival: extended opening.
- Food served Mon–Thu 5–9.30pm; Fri/Sat 5–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £15 for an aperitivo, two tapa and a drink
- Website www.edindaba.co.uk
Melting pot of Spanish and South African influences and flavours in this lively, welcoming tapas bar.
Spain meets South Africa in a Scottish side street, where Lochrin Terrace is home to Indaba – the restaurant version of sister venture Indaba Deli. Unassuming from the outside, the interior is engaging; colourful African arts and crafts adorn brightly-hued walls as inviting aromas drift from the open kitchen. A generous seasonal specials board is ceremoniously brought to the table by welcoming waiting staff, complementing a regular menu of predominantly Spanish tapas with several more substantial South African options. Boerewors, pap en sous is sheer comfort food: a dense beef and pork sausage with a generous helping of pap (maize porridge) and chakalaka (spicy fruit relish). Speciality meats feature strongly: try the Iberian air-cured platter of salchicón, chorizo and jamón with homemade biltong for the best of both Spain and South Africa. There are plenty of non-meat options though, like rollitos de calabacín which combine contrasting textures of grilled courgette with rich goat’s cheese, accompanied with membrillo (quince jelly) and manzanillo drizzle to cut through the queso. If choosing one dessert is too difficult, you can pick your three favourites and have them in half-sized portions – genius.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Spanish music
- Capacity: 34
- Largest group: 38
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £19 per bottle