This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 229 1222
- Seasonal times Closes for week in April and 2 weeks at Christmas.
- Food served Tue–Thu noon–2.30pm, 6.30–9.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–2.30pm, 6–9.30pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Thu 5–6pm
- Pre-theatre price £35 3 courses
- Website www.castleterracerestaurant.com
Chic in its understatement, Castle Terrace celebrates the creative potential of Scottish produce with class and passion.
Hearing mutterings of ‘exquisite’ and ‘mind-blowing’ from fellow diners, expectations are set sky-high in this airy dining room. But these are instantly met by a trio of intricate canapés, including a dollop of goat’s cheese with apricot and pork collar masquerading as a mini fry-up and an emerald sphere bursting on your tongue with the intensified flavours of a Caesar salad. What follows is equally spectacular. Delicate parcels of gently braised duck sit in a crystal-clear aromatic consommé and demonstrate chef Dominick Jack’s eye for beautiful presentation, alongside a rocher of rhubarb sorbet atop fresh red gurnard tartare. Moans of excitement echo from neighbouring tables on the gastronomic tasting journey as a mini burger, chef’s playful take on haggis, neeps and tatties, makes its way to the table. With the option of wine pairings from sommelier Joël Bastian, the tasting menus, seasonal à la carte and excellent value set-lunch option are all winners. Visits are made all the more memorable with the allure of petit fours at the chef’s table; a very special climax to a business lunch or evening celebration in this luxurious yet pared-back contemporary restaurant.
- Private dining: Up to 16 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Background smooth jazz
- Capacity: 75 (including 20 seats in bar area)
- Largest group: 85
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 32
- House wine: £36 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best vegetarian and vegan restaurants in Edinburgh31 May 2018
Restaurants that cater to meat-free and dairy-free diets
If you're sick of seeing salads as the only veggie option on the menu, here's a list of places that serve entirely vegan and vegetarian cuisine or offer good options as part of a wider menu.
Michelin-starred chef Tom Kitchin on Scotland's best berries17 Sep 2010
The Larder: Chef's Choice
The Scottish idiosyncratic climate is good for something – it provides ideal growing conditions for our produce. Michelin-starred chef Tom Kitchin explains why he uses only Scotland’s best berries in his restaurants.