- Telephone 0131 220 1887
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–11.30pm.
- Average price £9.90 bento box (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.yessushi.co.uk
Bright and friendly spot offering competitively priced sushi in the heart of the capital.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Freshly steamed complexions beam, as families and friends gather around bubbling cauldrons to enjoy the Japanese equivalent of a fondue evening. The sukiyaki (hotpot) attracts a loyal following, thanks to the generous portions and convivial atmosphere in this bustling city centre restaurant. The à la carte presents a wide range of cooked and raw options. Ebi gyoza are light parcels of crunchy chestnuts with chunks of juicy prawn. Perfectly crisp, the dumplings are accompanied by a fiery dipping sauce and provide a hearty start to the meal. The yakimono beef skewers, are less successful – the beef a little bland from a lack of marinating time. Teriyaki eel comes engulfed in an unctuous, molasses-rich sauce atop a bed of well-seasoned rice and delivers a filling main. Miso soup is warming and stocky, and, given the name above the door, it would be rude to ignore the large selection of sushi on offer. The maxi tuna roll is spicy, swathed in malleable seaweed, and just like the Cadbury’s Eclair advert of old, contains a secret tuna surprise hidden within.
- High point: Buzzy atmosphere
- Low point: Service a little hit and miss when busy
- Notable dish: Ebi gyoza
- Private dining: Up to 24 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle