Angels with Bagpipes
- Telephone 0131 220 1111
- Opening times Daily noon–10pm
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9.45pm.
- Pre-theatre times Noon–6pm (5.45pm last orders)
- Average price £17.50 (set lunch); £35 (4 course tasting menu), £50 (6 course tasting menu)
- Pre-theatre price £17.50
- Website www.angelswithbagpipes.co.uk
Romantic Royal Mile restaurant dishing up quality Scottish cooking.
A prime spot on the Royal Mile might suggest ‘tourist trap’ and an over reliance on passing trade, but fear not – Angels with Bagpipes is something else entirely. The ambience is plush, relatively dark and cosy, and there’s a serious chef in the background. A compact, well-conceived menu leans towards dark meats, but there's nothing heavy about a succulent main course of venison, carrot, tonka bean, chicory and sprouts. Or the rabbit loin, wrapped in bacon with black pudding in the creamiest pearl barley sauce. Depending on the season, you could start with a small, beautifully presented haggis, neeps and tatties or possibly the city’s lightest, most moreish crab and avocado mousse. After that, pudding may seem indulgent, but if tempted, try the apple compote with puff pastry, crème pattissière and vanilla ice-cream.
- High point: Food that more than matches its classy presentation
- Low point: Limited choice for vegetarians
- Notable dish: Venison with carrot, tonka bean, chicory and sprouts
Having opened on the Royal Mile in 2010, Angels with Bagpipes has quickly established itself as one of the best Scottish restaurants in Edinburgh.
Mixing an atmospheric Old Town setting with chic, contemporary looks, Angels with Bagpipes was designed to be the sort of romantic Edinburgh restaurant where Rabbie Burns might take Sofia Loren for a sophisticated date.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Jazz/Reggae
- Capacity: 70 (16 outdoors)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £22 per bottle