Angels with Bagpipes
- Telephone 0131 220 1111
- Opening times Daily noon–10pm
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9.45pm.
- Pre-theatre times Noon–6pm (5.45pm last orders)
- Average price £17.50 (set lunch); £35 (4 course tasting menu), £50 (6 course tasting menu)
- Pre-theatre price £17.50
- Website www.angelswithbagpipes.co.uk
Romantic Royal Mile restaurant dishing up quality Scottish cooking.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Behind its small Royal Mile façade, Angels with Bagpipes is a warren of intimate, low-lit dining rooms, decorated with muted shades, marble, and a nude bronze angel playing the bagpipes. The tempting, seasonal menu is reassuringly short. Dishes please both the palate and the eye: artful constructions (or deconstructions) deftly cooked with imagination and flair for flavour and texture combinations. Expertly seared scallops pair with creamy celeriac and crispy Parma ham, while tender, pink lamb harmonises with powerful goat’s curd, anchovy and almonds. A red, bloody venison loin is more than a match for white pudding croutons, smooth turnip mash, succulent, earthy chanterelles and buttery, salty sprout leaves. The sides are excellent: crisp, salty fries and rich, velvety mashed potato which demand the dipping of one into the other. Alas for deconstruction though – one pud (a chocolate brownie, peanut butter ganache and salted caramel ice cream) was so deconstructed it was no longer recognisable.
- High point: The fresh, punchy steak tartare
- Low point: The lamb seemed a little young and bland
- Notable dish: The chips are exceptional
Having opened on the Royal Mile in 2010, Angels with Bagpipes has quickly established itself as one of the best Scottish restaurants in Edinburgh.
Mixing an atmospheric Old Town setting with chic, contemporary looks, Angels with Bagpipes was designed to be the sort of romantic Edinburgh restaurant where Rabbie Burns might take Sofia Loren for a sophisticated date.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Jazz/Reggae
- Capacity: 70 (16 outdoors)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £22 per bottle