- Telephone 0131 466 6767
- Food served Tue–Sun 10am–2.45pm, 5–10pm. Closed Mon. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sun 5–6pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13–£20
- Website www.nonnas-kitchen.co.uk
Big-hearted family-run restaurant where an extensive menu means there is something delicious to suit everyone’s taste.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Chic blond wood and clean architectural lines give Nonna’s corner restaurant a relaxing modern flavor. But scratch the surface and it has an old-fashioned Italian heart that is all red-checked and straw-basketed. Tradition, family and good ingredients are the foundations of this neighbourhood stalwart and third-generation Gino Stornaiuolo is keeping the comfort food coming and the exuberant warmth intact. There is a menu del giorno, a well-conceived children’s menu, an extensive à la carte and a changing list of specials longer than most people’s memory – all of which underpins a genuine desire to give everyone food they will enjoy. For lightness, gnocchi may be made with ricotta instead of potato but the brimming, cheesy plateful is still as gently embracing as a squishy sofa. Seafood is carefully sourced and celebrated both in pasta dishes and in stand-alone splendour. Gamberoni are tender and tangy with baby tomatoes and shreds of chilli; and a luscious slab of halibut is served on a patchwork of rosemary-spiked, thinly sliced potato and seared Mediterranean vegetables.
- High point: Warm atmosphere and satisfying food
- Low point: Book well in advance for weekends
- Notable dish: Linguine ai frutti di mare
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz and easy listening
- Capacity: 42
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £17.25 per bottle