- Telephone 0131 466 6767
- Food served Tue–Sun 10am–2.45pm, 5–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sun 5–6pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price Lunchtime à la carte, average price £15
- Website www.nonnas-kitchen.co.uk
Firmly established at the heart of its community, this family-run eatery does the simple things well.
Six years after putting down roots in its Morningside neighbourhood, family-run Nonna’s continues to do the simple things well. Gino and mum Carmela offer a warm welcome in a relaxed room of pale hues and light timber tones, while father Mimmo expertly marshals his kitchen troops. Over 40 years of restaurant pedigree informs a no-fuss, well-executed à la carte menu, with half a dozen pizza and hearty pasta options supporting a sprinkling of meaty mains. Seafood is king on a lengthy list of blackboard specials – say, smoked haddock fishcakes or chilli-infused prawn linguine – all composed to let the core ingredients sing. Pumpkins imported from Cremona fill popular ravioli, smothered with gorgonzola and walnuts, while ricotta substitutes for potato in delightfully light gnocchi pillows. Good value daytime and early dining menus feature tuna with cannellini beans and wild mushroom risotto, while vanilla panacotta and a decadent chocolate torte complete the picture. On first name terms with its loyal band of returning regulars, this is a restaurant firmly established in the heart of its community.
- High point: Familiar faces greeted like old friends
- Low point: Remembering exactly what is in the specials
- Notable dish: Anything from the lengthy specials list
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: easy listening, jazz
- Capacity: 42
- Largest group: 20/25
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £17.45 per bottle