Mums Great Comfort Food
- Telephone 0131 260 9806
- Food served Mon–Sat 9am–10pm; Sun 10am–10pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.mumsgreatcomfortfood.co.uk
Comfort food by name and by nature; Mums offers starch, carbs and good, old-fashioned nostalgia.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
If you think comfort food is just about stodge and carbs, you’ve got it so wrong. Mums covers all the senses: the music is family car journey (Status Quo, Aerosmith, The Cure), the décor steals from the 70s, all geocentric wallpaper and kitsch light fittings. The staff are big-sister and cool-uncle chirpy, encouraging but not forcing indulgence. When it comes down to it, bangers and mash is the go-to. The spinach, leek and cheddar sausages come nestled on an island of mashed potato, one of 16 choices Mums offers – turns out the sparky garlic mushroom option is a smart choice. For dessert, the caramelised banana split melts into a mush of cream, sprinkles and sauce, screaming ‘childhood’, while the treacle and date pudding is a sticky, solid mass of munch. Mums Great Comfort Food doesn’t claim to be fine dining, but with the sensorial memories it invokes, you won’t care.
- High point: The staff have got 'service with a smile' down pat
- Low point: Could be a little less microwave-y
- Notable dish: Sausage and mash
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classic rock: Status Quo, The Cure, Aerosmith
- Capacity: 48
- Largest group: 48
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle