- Telephone 0141 554 0523
- Food served Mon–Sat 8.15am–10pm; Sun 10am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Sat 4pm–6.30pm and all day Thu
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.95
- Website www.celinos.com
Friendly and versatile time-honoured deli-restaurant, with options to sit in or take away from a large deli counter of Italian delights.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Serving Glaswegians for over 30 years, family-run Celino’s offers up a little piece of everything. Traditional breakfast dishes are given an Italian twist with the addition of mozzarella to French toast, and with their breakfast menu served right up until 1pm, it’s an ideal place to spend a couple of hours having a relaxed weekend brunch. For an evening meal, the à la carte features a wide variety of Italian classics, with a strong emphasis on quality of ingredients. Crispy stone-baked pizzas are enhanced with Celino’s secret pizza sauce, and beautifully al dente pastas can be served with a classic Italian sauce, or with more substantial additions such as tiger prawns or strips of fillet steak. If you just can’t choose, Wednesday evening is tapas night, when diners can enjoy a trio of smaller plates from their enticing tapas menu. And if you want to take a little bit of Italy home with you, the expansive deli counter displays a cornucopia of Italian delights, with a huge range of salamis, artisan cheeses and homemade pâtés, plus a fine selection of oils, vinegars, wine and liqueurs.
- High point: Warm, friendly buzz
- Low point: When full space can be a little tight
- Notable dish: scallops with Stornoway black pudding
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: mix of Italian music
- Live entertainment: Swing nights four of five times a year - set menu and dancing
- Capacity: 52 (8 outdoors)
- Largest group: 52
- Open since: 1982
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle