- Telephone 0141 554 0523
- Food served Mon–Sat 8.15am–10pm; Sun 10am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Sat 4pm–6.30pm and all day Thu
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.95
- Website www.celinos.com
Friendly and versatile time-honoured deli-restaurant, with options to sit in or take away from a large deli counter of Italian delights.
Like so many of Glasgow’s Italian eating establishments, family-run Celino’s is a mainstay in the community. Regulars evidently make up the majority of clientele, and the deli-cum-trattoria is unpretentious with simple furnishings and cosy upholstered seating. Italian food aficionados will enjoy ogling the selection of cured meats, cheeses and pates, and poring over the extensive range of Italian wines. Its relaxed atmosphere, which is maintained into the evening, will make anyone feel welcome whether after a roll and tattie scone at breakfast or hearty Italian dishes in the evening. It’s a pleasure being presented with the deli produce in cooked form – the delicate fennel taste infusing the Italian sausage from Pozzilli is given simple treatment stirred through al dente penne (though you can choose your pasta) with a fresh and vibrant Napoli sauce. And while scallops and black pudding is a failsafe combination, the capesante alla Scozia is elevated thanks to the addition of fresh chicory and zesty white wine sauce.
- High point: Quality ingredients
- Low point: Evening service too informal for some tastes
- Notable dish: Capesante alla Scozia – scallops with Stornaway black pudding
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Swing nights four of five times a year - set menu and dancing
- Capacity: 52 (8 outdoors)
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 1982
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle