Jamie’s Italian - Glasgow
- Telephone 0141 404 2690
- Opening times Mon–Wed noon–10pm; Thu noon–10.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm; Sun noon–9pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–11pm; Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–6pm
- Average price £11.95 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95
- Website www.jamieoliver.com/italian/…
Good, affordable, crowd-pleasing Italian food with high ideals, delivered in a family-friendly city centre diner.
Celebrated chef and restaurateur, Jamie Oliver can be seen at nearly every turn, from endless televisions shows that seem to run on loop and his own range of food and cooking ingredients right through to branded Italian restaurants. The Glasgow outfit, housed within the grandeur of the old GPO, sits proudly on George Square – a better location would be hard to find. The large space buzzes with chatter, while downstairs offers some intimacy. Waiting staff, mainly young and trendy, are knowledgeable on the menu, championing local produce, and describing dishes with passion. Italian nachos are an interesting start – small deep-fried cheese ravioli give nacho crunch, a roasted tomato and pepper dip bringing the salsa element to the dish. Prawn linguine is full of buttery shellfish, bound in a piquant tomato sauce topped with a Scottish langoustine. Meat dishes are impressive, such as Lamb Scottadito – pink juicy chops arrive on a long wooden board served with smashed spiced nuts and yoghurt for dipping, polenta chips giving full-on flavour and crunch. A solid choice for dining in the city centre.
- High point: Surpisingly good food for a High Street chain
- Low point: Can get very noisy when full
- Notable dish: Lamb chops scottadito
A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italian has won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that’s made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too.
This landmark site on George Square is one of their most stylish conversions yet, located in the grand old GPO building. Jamie's Italian Glasgow is always buzzing and comes complete with a beautiful bar area that's perfect for a pre- or post-dinner cocktail. The restaurant is perfect for all occasions from a quick business lunch or a family dinner to a special celebration. The cosy downstairs area is the ideal space for a function too and can hold up to 50 diners.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 35 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 257
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 23
- House wine: £18.55 per bottle