Jamie’s Italian - Glasgow
- Telephone 0141 404 2690
- Opening times Mon–Wed noon–10pm; Thu noon–10.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm; Sun noon–9pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–11pm; Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–6pm
- Average price £10.95 (set lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.jamieoliver.com/italian/…
Good, affordable, crowd-pleasing Italian food with high ideals, delivered in a family-friendly city centre diner.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Not afraid to be paternal, having attended a parliamentary committee advocating the introduction of the forthcoming sugar tax, Jamie’s Italian offering shows us the benefits of eating the Italian way – especially for a weekend lunch when indulging in four courses suits the body best. Quizzing questions are instantly answered with a personal touch at the Glasgow branch sitting prim on George Square, with staff explaing the ethos, including Jamie’s desire to make more of fantastic local produce – so a special of Scottish langoustine risotto is enthusiastically promoted by well-versed servers. Jamie’s ambitiously evolving food philosophy encompassing healthy eating, procuring fine British and Italian produce and advocating sustainable business practices are tangible among the staff, menu and on the brand’s website. The crab and avocado bruschetta is near-faultless, although a minor seasoning adjustment of adding more than just a hint of the lemony gremolata to the already delicious dish would provide the va-va-voom to boost the dish from great to bellissimo. Enticing, enjoyable food that comes in fairly conservative portions at reasonable prices mean four courses is comfortably doable.
- High point: Well judged menu, upbeat atmopshere
- Low point: Music can be too loud
- Notable dish: Scottish langoutine risotto with lemon gremolata
A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italian has won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that’s made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too.
This landmark site on George Square is one of their most stylish conversions yet, located in the grand old GPO building. Jamie's Italian Glasgow is always buzzing and comes complete with a beautiful bar area that's perfect for a pre- or post-dinner cocktail. The restaurant is perfect for all occasions from a quick business lunch or a family dinner to a special celebration. The cosy downstairs area is the ideal space for a function too and can hold up to 50 diners.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 35 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: pop
- Capacity: 257
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 23
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle