The Mercat Bar & Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 225 8716
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–11pm; Fri 11am–1am; Sat 10am–1am; Sun 10am–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–9.15pm; Sat/Sun 10am–10pm.
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.mercatbar.co.uk
Bar / restaurant in former landmark Haymarket pub, developing into a neighbourhood restaurant with tourist appeal.
This established pub, recently under new ownership, is still developing its identity as a contemporary bar/restaurant with a lively neighbourhood feel. Located on busy West Maitland Street, not far from Haymarket station, it’s the sort of place locals meet up in and tourists will drop by for a drink or a meal. The emphasis is on freshly cooked, quality food using Scottish ingredients, with a menu featuring mussels, Stornoway black pudding, ribeye steak, game pie, burgers and sea bass. Vegetarian options, from tarts to burgers and pasta, are also available. Alongside an evolving list of beers, wines and spirits, (including a wide range of whiskies, gins, craft beers and occasionally guest casks) they’ve just introduced a cocktail menu. Downstairs is available for private parties, meetings and events, and the friendly staff here make a big effort to create a welcoming atmosphere.
- Private dining: 50 seated
- Provides: Children's portions, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 80 seated
- Largest group: 50 seated
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle