Taste of Italy
- Telephone 0131 557 9998
- Seasonal times Extended in Edinburgh Festival: Fri/Sat 8am–3am
- Food served Sun–Thu 8am–11pm; Fri/Sat 8am–midnight.
- Average price £8.50 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.vittoriagroup.co.uk
Bustling, informal Italian diner handy for the Playhouse theatre, with large corner window for watching the world go by.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Playhouse, Taste of Italy is ideal for a quick bite that will sustain you way past any thoughts of interval refreshment. Generous portions begin with starters of rice-filled, cheese-oozing arancini or a full round of focaccia with heaps of parmesan shavings and rocket before getting onto the mains. Pizza and pasta are the staples, with margherita, primavera or a meaty twist on mac’n’cheese sitting alongside the less predictable, such as chef’s favourite tagliatelle, with its lashings of spicy sausage, or gnocchi with bacon and leeks in goat’s cheese sauce. Although there’s no choice of pizza base – it’s more soft and doughy than thin and crispy -– there are plenty of toppings to choose from, either as listed or of your own creation. For burger-lovers, there are six set variations or, again, you can self-select. Tempting gelato sundaes are a speciality, using the restaurant’s own creamy, Madagascan vanilla ice-cream recipe in partnership with fresh fruits and decadently sweet decorations.
- High point: No bookings means quick turnaround of tables
- Low point: Only three wines to choose from
- Notable dish: Arancino di riso
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Smooth radio
- Capacity: 65
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £11.95/1litre per bottle