Taste of Italy
Bustling all-day eatery, handy for the Playhouse, with a cheery outlook and simply prepared, evenly priced fare.
Taste of Italy is a bustling all-day diner, stretching early doors eggs Benedict into late night cocktails, with fast paced, informal dining sandwiched in between. A stone’s throw from the Playhouse Theatre, a cheery front-of-house generates a healthy buzz behind floor to ceiling goldfish bowl glazing that wraps around its prominent corner site. Stools and high tables nestle alongside a busy takeaway counter, with a raised area of smart timber cladding and cosy booths sitting in a fresh, bold coloured interior. A busy open kitchen pours out simply prepared, tasty food from a great value menu that covers an impressive amount of ground. Popular arancini and bruschetta starters lead to gorgonzola-topped burgers and spicy meatball panini, alongside caponata-covered Italian sausages and a sprinkling of salads. Strips of Angus steak top rocket and parmesan dressed pizzas, with creamy bolognese and pepperoni smothered tagliatelle and salted butter caramel gelato to finish. With its evenly priced, honest cuisine, its little wonder this lively and generous, no reservations venue has them queuing out the door.
- High point: Buzzy venue with evenly priced menu
- Low point: Balancing your big pizza on those small high tables
- Notable dish: Tagliatelle with bolognese cream sauce and pepperoni
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Contemporary tunes
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: No reservations
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £12/1litre per bottle