Taste of Italy
Bustling all-day eatery, handy for the Playhouse, with a cheerful style and simply prepared, excellent-value food.
No matter what frame of mind you’re in when you step into Taste of Italy, you'll be caught up in the cheerful and welcoming warmth of what is, indeed, a taste of informal Italian café culture. Slap bang in the middle of the city-centre action, and handy for Playhouse theatregoers, this casual café, diner and takeaway is a slick and well-honed operation. Its flexible menu offers honest, home-cooked Italian classics, albeit with a more Scottish-themed selection at breakfast. Nourishing, chunky minestrone soup is a veritable vegetable garden while mixed antipasti makes for a more sophisticated choice, with gentle curls of Parma ham, olives and thinly sliced salami surrounding a ball of creamy mozzarella. Pizzas come in two sizes, with the folded-over calzone a golden package of ham, mushroom and spicy sausage topped with bright tomato sauce and cubes of parmesan. Ravioli taste is the signature choice from a long list of pasta dishes, its garlicky porcini sauce well-matched to the squares of soft pasta filled with spinach and ricotta.
- Delivery: £3.50 plus £0.35 processing fee; Mon–Fri 9am–4pm
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Italian pop
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: No reservations
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £14.95 (1litre carafe) per bottle