Foodies at Holyrood
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 557 6836
- Seasonal times Winter: Mon–Sun 7.30am–5pm; Sat/Sun 10am–5pm. Festival: Mon–Fri 7.30am–7.30pm; Sat/Sun 9am–6pm
- Food served Apr–Sep: Mon–Fri 7.30am–6pm; Sat/Sun 10am–5pm. Oct–Mar: closes 5pm. [Extended in Festival]
- Average price £7 (lunch)
- Website www.foodiesatholyrood.com
Situated a short walk off the Canongate, at the foot of Holyrood Road, Foodies is in a convenient location for Dynamic Earth, Holyrood Park and the Scottish Parliament. With its busy lunch trade, particularly for takeaways, it has more of a pitstop feel than somewhere to sit back and relax awhile. Thanks to its Old Town location and proximity to a number of hotels and businesses, the clientele is a wide mix, and covers a range of ages from kids to pensioners. Quality ingredients include coffee beans from the Bean Shop in Perth, milk from the Fife Creamery and sausages from Edinburgh's own Crombies. The regular menu has something for most tastes, with soups, sandwiches and generous baked potatoes supplemented daily by freshly made cakes.
- High point: The quality of the food
- Low point: Big portions leave no room for dessert
The Foodie Company is a gourmet food-box business that, well, thought outside the box. Their open-plan café/deli sells and serves the best of Scottish: Stoats porridge pots, sandwiches with bread from Edinburgh’s own Breadwinner, and Inverawe salmon platters. The Scottish ploughman’s is a greedy spread of thickly sliced honey-roast ham, wedges of Mull cheddar, Dunsyre blue and brie with a tangy tomato chutney. ‘Stromboli’ toasted flatbread sandwiches are a meal in themselves, especially when stuffed with haggis and sweet potato. Cakes, scones and traybakes are brought in daily from the Portobello HQ, while the ‘Monster’ hot choc is a masterclass in child bribery topped with half the candy store. If that doesn’t root little people to the spot, you'll find crayons, books and toys in the corner. High chairs and enough space to swing a buggy make this a baby-friendly place, too. Pleasing both park-bound families and the office lunch crowd seems to be working, as Peter and Kirsty McLean, the brother and sister behind the Foodie Company, are planning another café.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: Lunch deliveries - sandwich baskets taken Edinburgh-wide with 24hrs notice
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 42
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2009