This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 343 3221
- Seasonal times Open until 3am during festival
- Bar open Mon–Sat 5pm–1am; Sun 5pm–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sat 5pm–1am; Sun 5pm–midnight. [Festival: open til 3am].
- Average price £13 (evening meal)
- Website www.theraconteuredinburgh.com
This review is taken from the 2011 edition.
The Raconteur’s clientele tend to be those in the business, those in the know, and those who simply appreciate a real cocktail. It doesn't look much from the outside but that's part of its speakeasy charm. This bar's style is simple but fine, with rich mahogany furnishings and glass cabinets stocked with the rarest whiskies in the capital. If an eccentric 17th-century scientist were to move into an old Irish pub, it might look like this. Their drinks menu has a range of vintage wines, international beers, forgotten cocktail classics and new inventions. You might find their own 'lemon and rhubarb cobbler', with lemon vodka, preserved lemons and rhubarb cordial or the revived Champs-Elysées,which dusts off the yellow chartreuse. These, when served in a quaint array of crystal decanters and silver punch bowls (handpicked from charity shops and Irish auctions) hint at a glittery Gatsby era. It has a cool, underground (dare one say New York) feel, and still manages not to appear pretentious.
- High point: These people know their drinks
- Low point: Limited food options: sourdough sarnies and a few mezze
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Old-fashioned blues, soul.
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £15 per bottle
Reviews & features
Valentine's Day - where to take your date3 Feb 2012
Some seductive suggestions for what to do on or around February 14th
Experience a May-December relationship ... or at least, vicariously experience someone else’s. Among the several films the Glasgow Film Theatre are screening to get you into the Valentines spirit on 14 Feb (including Brief Encounter and French…