Earthy Market Café
- Telephone 0131 667 2967
- Food served Mon–Fri 9am–6pm; Sat 9am–5pm; Sun 10am–5pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch)
- Website www.earthy.uk.com
Causewayside’s original outpost of calm and wellbeing promoting seasonal, local, organic and free-range eating.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The phrase ‘farm to fork’ is taken literally at Earthy Market Café. Most of the produce here is farm-fresh and organic, and what can't be plucked from the ground is locally and ethically sourced. The café feels like a farmhouse with high ceilings, exposed beams, and chunky wooden tables; it's bright, airy and welcoming. There’s a generous garden with outdoor seating, a conservatory, and a market upstairs selling a wide variety of wholesome groceries. Soups, sandwiches, and sharing boards showcase the produce with at least five seasonal salads on offer daily. Roasted sweet potato and red quinoa fritters make a surprisingly substantial lunch while the Borders beef burger balances out the mainly vegetarian and vegan menu. With a sister restaurant in Canonmills and another market in Portobello, Earthy is making Edinburgh a tastier, healthier place.
- High point: Dietary requirements and preferences catered for deliciously well.
- Low point: Feeling virtuous after salad may lead to overindulgence on home-baked cakes.
- Notable dish: Salads
- Private dining: 20 in conservatory
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Staff picks
- Live entertainment: Music at special events, such as Junk & Funk in their Back Yard
- Capacity: 45 + 60 outdoors in summer
- Largest group: 52
- Open since: 2008 (2010 as Earthy Market Café)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: Glass of wine £4.25 per bottle