- Telephone 0131 662 8741
- Seasonal times 3am license during festival
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 12.30pm–midnight
- Average price £9 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.greenmantlepub.co.uk
Traditional pub, popular for its buffalo burgers, guest beers and live screenings of sporting events.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Often playing host to student clubs and societies, Greenmantle is rarely quiet. The bar staff pride themselves on their Scottish hospitality, which coupled with frequently changing guest ales and modestly priced pub grub, also makes Greenmantle a favourite among locals. A small kitchen means they outsource a lot of their food from sister pub the Mash Tun. The usual suspects of mac and cheese, beef and Guinness pie, baked tatties and nachos come in abundance, but these are no match for the show stopping buffalo burgers, direct from Puddledub Farm, Fife. They come stacked on a brioche bun, packed with your choice of onion rings, guacamole, a variety of cheeses, pulled pork, bacon or haggis. The traditional pub décor features fairy lights, an impressive collection of coasters and humorous wall signs, while three large TV screens means no large sporting event is ever missed.
- High point: Two for one burgers on Mondays and a challenging Tuesday night quiz
- Low point: The deep fat fryer smell can linger
- Notable dish: Buffalo Burgers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Rap, rock and hip-hop.
- Live entertainment: Saturday night acoustic sets, Tuesday night quiz, Sunday night poker
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Bar crawls: Edinburgh - The Prudent Student18 Nov 2011
A cheap and cheerful crawl from Marchmont to Grassmarket
I have a confession to make. I’ve never really been much of a bar crawl sort of gal. The idea of systematic drinking (vb. to lash, I suppose) with a bunch of overgrown rugby boys, with their girlfriend’s underwear on as outer wear, has never really…