Boteco do Brasil
- Telephone 07772 847311
- Bar open Sun–Sat 11am–3am
- Food served Sun–Wed 11am–10pm; Thu–Sat 10am–11pm
- Average price £5.95 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.botecodobrasil.com
A bustling restaurant and bar where the party never stops, with diners feasting on traditional Brazilian dishes and tasty cocktails.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The spirit of Brazil is alive and kicking at Boteco, which has a packed calendar of music, open mic and salsa nights as well as a diverse menu to enjoy. The eating area is separated from the busy bar – dominated by large televisions – by some flimsy draped material, so don’t expect the most laid-back of meals here. The staff are chatty and helpful, and starters are brought to the table with efficient speed, notable dishes being chouriço sausages served with cassava (Brazilian potatoes) and coxinha de frango – soft potato dough filled with chicken. There are lots of interesting mains including burgers, traditional stew made with black beans, pork ribs, smoked bacon, salt beef and smoked sausage, corn-fed chicken, linguine with prawns and cherry tomatoes, and seasoned strips of rump steak, pan-fried and served on a sizzle platter, with a side of cassava. Finish off with one of the sugary desserts such as the brigadeiro – truffles made with condensed milk and chocolate, served with whipped cream.
- High point: A lively night guaranteed
- Low point: Not the most relaxing place for a meal
- Notable dish: Corn-fed chicken breast cooked in coconut milk, cashew nuts, and peanut, ginger and palm oil.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop/rock/Brazilian music
- Live entertainment: salsa dancing, open mic nights, DJs, live music, Mardi Gras
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle