Boteco do Brasil
Fun Brazilian bar that brings an explosion of colour, warmth and live music to the Merchant City, along with good food.
With live music, DJs, dancing and an upbeat, colourful atmosphere, Boteco do Brasil pulls in a mixed crowd who looking for a good time. The menu, like Brazil, is extensive and exotic. The roast peppers stuffed with mozzarella and rice, or the prawns pan-fried in garlic can come either as tapas, to be enjoyed while sipping a beer, or to start before a bigger dish. Ask for a table at the back if you’d prefer to focus on the food, though even so, don’t be surprised if a live band or a DJ start blasting tunes from the other end of the bar. For mains, moquequa – a traditional Brazilian fish stew in a coconut sauce is silky and lustrous. You could also try feijoida, a traditional black bean and pork stew, or there are plenty of burgers for the less adventurous. Desserts are all homemade, such as the strawberry-coconut-cream-concoction – and they’re pretty good, despite an abundance of squirty cream. Whatever you have to eat, as the night goes on be prepared for live music, flowing Caipirinhas and a pulsating, party-going pack.
- High point: Warm, vibrant atmosphere
- Low point: Can be loud
- Notable dish: Moquequa with prawns
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Up-beat Brazilian jazz, funk, and salsa-infused pop
- Live entertainment: salsa dancing, open mic nights, DJs, live music, Mardi Gras
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle